Grand Opening Event Schedule
Thursday, January 9, 2014
All day: Enjoy Uptown Shelby businesses’ window decorations celebrating the big event. Look for specials at local restaurants and retailers honoring Earl Scruggs and his legacy.
5:30pm Window contest judging begins
6pm—8pm Street Scene, Bluegrass Style! Four bands will be playing in Uptown Shelby. Grab some dinner or drinks with a friend, and enjoy the free bluegrass!
7pm “Bonnie & Clyde” at The Don Gibson Theatre. Visit our Destination Cleveland County partner as they screen the 1967 edition of “Bonnie & Clyde” starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, featuring Foggy Mountain Breakdown, one of Earl’s most legendary songs.
8pm Jam session at Pleasant City Wood Fired Grille.
Friday, January 10, 2014
10am—4pm Earl Scruggs Center is open to guests (normal hours).
Saturday, January 11, 2014
10:00am Book Signing at Fireside Books The Storied South by Dr. William R. Ferris
11:00am Festival on the Square
Special events/activities include (all of this is complimentary)
- Musicians at local restaurants/shops
- Designated Pickin’ Areas
- Live Music before and after the dedication including Darin & Brooke Aldridge playing after the dedication ceremony
- Kids activities
- Old Fashioned Games
- Banjo “petting” zoo – banjos available for folks to learn about – banjo players available for discussion and demonstration
- Birthday cake to celebrate Earl’s birthday (his birthday is January 6th), Milk (in old fashioned style glass keepsake bottles with ESC logo)
- Uptown Shelby Businesses are offering specials related to Earl and his career
- Uptown Shelby Merchants Window Decorating Contest relative to Earl Scruggs Center Grand Opening
- Photo Booth for Earl Scruggs Center Souvenir Photos
12:30pm Special Music that you do not want to miss
1pm Dedication Ceremony
2pm Darin & Brooke Aldridge live outdoor performance
2pm-5:30pm Earl Scruggs Center opens for timed 30 minute preview tours – complimentary admission
Sunday, January 12, 2014
11:30am-1pm Members Only Access
1pm-5pm Regular Earl Scruggs Center Operations